Holi is known as the ‘festival of colours’ or ‘festival of love’ and widely celebrated all over India. The festival signifies the victory of good over evil, the arrival of spring, end of winter, and for many a festive day to meet others, play and laugh, forget and forgive, and repair broken relationships. Holi celebrations start on the night before Holi with burning of an effigy representing evil where people gather, perform religious rituals, and pray that their internal evil is destroyed. The next morning is celebrated as colorful Holi –where people smear each other with colours and drench each other. Water guns and water-filled balloons are also used to play and colour each other. People visit family, friends and foes to throw coloured powders on each other; laugh and gossip, and then share Holi delicacies, food and drinks. In the evening, after sobering up, people dress up and visit friends and family
• Participate in India’s most awaited festival with lots of fun and frolic activities.
• Celebrate the arrival of spring season.
• Get ready to be fully smeared by colors made of vegetable roots.
• Taste mouth-watering local dishes.
• Enjoy local music and dance and bonfire nights.
• Age Limit to participate: 18 Years • Length of the trip: 4 days 3 night • Trip start: 1st March 2018 • Trip finish: 4th March 2018 • Trip fees: US $ 345 per person • Trip Location: Barkot and Rishikesh
• 1st MARCH- Arrive at the local home stay and get introduced to the host family. Get informed about the Holi festival over a cup of chai. Pre-Holy celebration around the bonfire in the nearby village of ‘Gamarsun’ or ‘Dandi’. Dinner at the home stay.
• 2nd MARCH- Have breakfast at 7:00 am and get ready to join the group for the Holy celebration. Get colored and don’t miss a chance to color others. Lunch at 2:00 pm and dinner at 7:00 pm.
• 3rd MARCH- Breakfast (local pancakes) at 7:00 am. Get ready to exchange the niceties with the local community through visiting the local villages with us. Lunch in the village. Dinner with Bonfire at 8:00 pm.
• 4th MARCH- Breakfast at the usual time. Exchange last day greetings with your host family, local children and the group, before you go.
• Transportation to reach the festival venue from Rishikesh/Dehradun.
• Accommodation at the local host family.
• 3 vegetarian meals a day during the program.
• Colors to play Holi.
• Anything else than mentioned in the inclusion segment.
NOTE- It is not possible to mention every activity that takes place on this occasion as celebrations vary in different regions. However, above details provides a general overview of the main celebrations that usually occur during this event.
Fees & Date:
WHERE IS THE TRIP LOCATED?The location is in Barkot town and Rishikesh city. The program itinerary is same but you can choose any one of the locations to participate into.
HOW TO REACH THE PROGRAM(FESTIVAL) SITE?You will have to come to Dehradun railway station or Dehradun airport. We will pick you for the railway station or airport and based on your preferred location you will be moved accordingly.
WHAT IS THE FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION LIKE?The accommodation is provided at the local homestay on a shared basis. Maximum 2 visitors will be accommodated in the room. The room is comfortable with Indian squat toilets and bathroom. The meals are vegetarian in nature. 2 meals shall be provided that is lunch and dinner.
IS THE TRIP SAFE FOR THE PEOPLE TRAVELLING SOLO?Of course Yes! You will be accompanied by the program co-ordinator throughout the trip. The program coordinator is a local guy who is well respected and well known in the local communities which leaves no room for any kind of mishappening.
WHAT IF I WANT TO COME AS A COUPLE / GROUP OF FRIENDS?
You are always welcome as a couple or a group of friends. Kindly mention it in the application form.
WHEN DO I NEED TO REACH THE FESTIVAL VENUE?
You will need to arrive a day or a couple of days before the festival starts.
WHAT IF I WANT TO GO VERY LAST MINUTE?
If you decide to go with us at the last minute, just contact us through the mail and as per availability we will inform you the same.
DO I NEED TO BRING SOMETHING ELSE TO THE FESTIVAL?
Except for the daily used accessories and toiletries, you wouldn’t need specific items to participate.
IS THERE ANY DISCOUNT IF I COME ALONG WITH MY FRIENDS OR IN A GROUP?
No, we are sorry, it’s already a low-cost trip.
WHEN SHOULD I APPLY?
Applying as earlier as possible is always recommended. Please note that it is compulsory to reach the venue a day or a couple of days in advance.
HOW TO APPLY?
Just fill the details in the form given on the right side of this page and submit it.
WHAT IS THE PAYMENT MODE?
You would be required to deposit 50% of the Trip fees in advance to secure your place. Rest amount shall be paid after a day at the program site.
CAN I CHOOSE TO EXTEND TO VOLUNTEER IN ONE OF THE VOLUNTEERING PROJECTS PRIOR AND LATER THE TRIP?
Yes, you can! You will have to notify us while submitting your application.